1 down, 44 to go!
The Senate kicked things off today with the National Anthem, sung by the fantastic Miss Sandy Utah, and an energetic chorale performance by the Chamber Choir from American Leadership Academy. Linda K. Burton of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints opened our proceedings with a prayer. We also heard the State of the Judiciary, given by Chief Justice Matthew B. Durrant. We swore in the senators, voted in a new senate president, live-streamed a media briefing, confirmed a new judge and send a truckload of bills to committee.
- Standard Examiner: First day of Utah’s 2013 legislative session one of ceremony, economic concern
- DNews: Two educations bills move forward (transparency and medical school funding)
- The House of Reps blog re: a proposed adjustment to legislative compensation
- Trib on Senator Osmond’s bill: What if agencies provided services only by internet or by phone?
- Cool new Session Dashboard by Ancestry.com’s front-end web developer
- YouTube: Senate President [almost] gets a promotion
— Deidre Henderson (@DeidreHenderson) January 28, 2013
Sen. Thatcher on school finance transparency bill: “We’re already collecting this data it’s just not being shared with the public” #utleg
— Lisa Schencker (@lschencker) January 28, 2013
— Brianna Bodily (@BriannaBodily) January 28, 2013
— Utah Senate (@utahsenate) January 28, 2013
And a photo album. Wish you were here!
We’ll see you tomorrow bright and early for Business, Economic Development, & Labor Appropriations Subcommittee, Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee, Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee, and Social Services Appropriations Subcommittees, which all stream live online audio at le.utah.gov.