Howdy! We finished off Week 5 with Western Day at the Utah Senate. Watch the slide show, read the Tweets, and check out the news here.
In the Media
* Senator Aaron Osmond’s education reform bill, SB64, is receiving a lot of press as an example of what can happen when citizens and legislator work together. Read two articles in the Deseret News Here and Here.
* Effort to amend GRAMA, met with no opposition as the Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee voted 6-0 Tuesday to send SB177 on to the full Senate. Get the full story from the media at Deseret News, The Salt Lake Tribune., another Deseret News, Daily Herald, and Fox 13.
* The Utah Legislature paused Wednesday to honor the six officers who were involved in January 4th Ogden drug raid. “I’d like to express my appreciation for these fine men, courageous men who frequently put their lives on the line,” Senator Stuart Reid, R-Ogden, said as he thanked the officers for their service. Read the full story at the Deseret News, Standard-Examiner.
* Utah lawmakers honor soldiers who fell in 2011. “They will never get to see another sunrise or get a hug from their loved ones.” said Senator Christensen, R-North Ogden. Read the full tribute at the Standard Examiner.
* Senator Valentine speaking out about SB66 and the DABC reforms. “This is a much stronger supervision model,” Valentine said. “It took a significant amount of time to get it right. We think we have it right.” Read more at Utah Policy, Tribune, Deseret News, ABC 4, Daily Herald, The Spectrum, The Republic, and listen to audio at The Senate Site.
1. @2CoolTodd: Did Senator Niederhauser just admit to watching R-rated movies?!#notsenpresidentmaterial #utleg
3. @RobertGehrke: Senate budget chair Lyle Hillyard just announced there would be no action in tonight’s mtg. Abstinence only kicks in fast. #utpol #utleg
4. @SenLyleHillyard New revenue estimates were great. Slightly up & not down. Doesn’t make my job any easier – never enough money… #utpol #utleg #utmoney
5. @RobertGehrke UPDATE: LOTS of purple taffy in Senate bldg. Believe they’re raspberry, but unsure. More flavors in the bowl near couch.#taffywatch2012
The Senate hosted the Asplund family this week. Mr. Asplund works in Legislative Research, but also has a musically talented family. Here’s a neat song they sang for us: